ODU Student Ambassadors are campus leaders and their positive interaction with prospective students is vital.
By leading campus tours for prospective students and parents, Student Ambassadors
directly impact and shape the future of the university and our students.
Student Ambassadors also help with other admission events and work in the Admission Office.
- Be dependable and reliable.
- Maintain good academic standing.
- Enjoy public speaking and have good communication skills.
- Enjoy interacting with others and meeting new people.
- Exhibit leadership and be involved in activities on campus.
- Want to share your great experiences at ODU.
- Excellent knowledge of ODU and all academic and extracurricular activities.
- Must be able to work one and half years (three semesters).
Leading prospective students on a campus tour is the most visible aspect of the job, and can be a very influential factor in a prospective student’s decision to attend ODU.
Student Ambassadors must be able to tell stories, answer questions and relay pertinent information to prospective students and their families about all facets of the ODU experience.
This also requires an ability to convey important marketing and public relations points. Training is provided.
Work in the Office of Undergraduate Admission is plentiful and students who are not guiding tours are expected to assist with office tasks (filing, mailings, organizing, etc.) during their weekly office hours.
Ambassadors are scheduled to work in the office a few Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. – 12 noon. each semester. Throughout the year, office work may be the main activity for Student Ambassadors.
Participation at Open Houses is also required. Most of these programs occur on Saturday mornings.
New Student Ambassadors will each be assigned to a mentor to guide them through the training process. The training process begins with a retreat - followed by shadow tours, office specific training, and expectation guidelines.
How to Apply
Hiring Timeline Fall 2022
- September – Application Opens
- November 1 – Application Closes
- November 7 – First round decision emails are sent
- November 8-11 – Group Interviews
- November 14 – Second round decision emails are sent
- November 15-18 – Individual interviews
- November 25 – Final decision emails are sent