The multidatabase search, provided by OhioLINK's Quick Search, allows you to perform a single search across several databases simultaneously. On the webpages devoted to recommended databases for a single subject area, the databases include some of the databases listed individually in the center of the page. Once you have entered your search terms and clicked on "Go", the new search window will list the databases included in your search.
Quick Search Results displays the combined results found in all the searched databases that have returned results. It can be displayed in three views: Results List, Brief View, and Full View.
The results list includes the first results fetched from all the databases that were searched and returned results. The results are displayed in the order of their relevance to the term you entered. Features available from the results display include
- The Sort by field. Sorting is available by author, title, year, and database name, in addition to the default sort by rank.
- The Multi-Database Search link, which allows you to see your search results in the Multi-Database Search module, where you can view the results per databaseor refine the search. If you have logged in, you may also save the query for future sessions .
- The Summary link, which enables you to return to the list of resulting databases that was displayed while the Quick Search was searching.
- The Search & Link Results link, which only appears when some of the databases in the results cannot be displayed in the Quick Search interface. The appearance of this link is an indication that there are more databases that were found than are shown in this window. You can access them by clicking this link and then clicking the Jump link next to the relevant database to view the search results in that database's native interface.
Various options are provided to browse through the results, as follows:
- Click Next or Previous to display another page. You can set the number of results displayed per page as part of your preferences if you are logged in.
- You can jump to the last record using the fast forward arrow >> or to the first record using the fast back << arrow.
- You can sort the results by Title, Author, Year or Database.
- You can navigate the cluster / facet nodes.
- You can view results in Results List, Brief View, or Full View.
- Click Retrieve More to fetch more records to the list that is currently displayed. The list is then resorted according to the relevance of the results, taking the new ones into account. Results that are added to the list are marked with a icon to the left in order to indicate which ones you have not yet been shown.